Henry Delbert Lewis Jr. of Amarillo passed away on May 7, 2018, at the age of 91. He was born in Amarillo, TX on September 23, 1926, to H. D. and Cora (Willis) Lewis. He grew up in Dumas, TX and attended school there until his senior year when he went to Schriener Institute, Kerrville, TX, graduating in 1945.
He then served two years in the United States Merchant Marine on seven ships and making four trips to Europe. He also served in the National Guard on 155mm howitzers for six years from 1950, never going overseas.
In 1950, Delbert graduated from Texas Tech and started Lewis Construction Company in Dumas, TX with a used backhoe, dump truck, Ford Tractor and pickup truck. Delbert and Wanda incorporated the business in 1959, which continued in the family until 2015, when his son sold the business and retired.
Delbert married his wife of 66 years, Wanda B Smith of Lubbock in 1951. They have three surviving children, Henry D. Lewis III and wife, Jane E Noble of Blanchard, Oklahoma, Diana Louise Lewis of Ocate, New Mexico and Linda B Lewis of Denver, Colorado as well as two grandchildren, Rachel Ann Lewis of Rogersville, TN and Harrison Dylan Lewis of Houston, TX. He was preceded in death by his parents and two sisters, Mary Griffin of Arlington, TX and Martha Crabb of Dumas, TX.
Upon retiring, Delbert and Wanda traveled extensively for 36 years. They flew their plane to South America, spent summers at their home in Angel Fire, NM and boated to Alaska in their cabin cruiser for eight summers. They cruised the world including the South Pole, Panama Canal, Amazon River, Bahamas, Europe, Scandinavia, Egypt, and an around the world cruise starting in Hong Kong and ending in Turkey. The last eight winters were spent in their RV in Indio, CA before moving to the Craig Retirement Center in December 2011.
A Celebration of Life will be held on Saturday, May 19th, from 3:00 to 5:00 pm in the Sky View Lounge at the Craig Retirement Community, Amarillo, TX. Arrangements are by Boxwell Brothers Funeral Directors, 2800 Paramount Blvd.